Your ordinary watch will rarely be a reliable companion for outdoor activities. You’ll either fear getting scratches on the polished bracelet or find its display frustratingly limited to the exact time. How convenient would it be if the watch could track weather, tides, distance traveled, location and survive a swim?
A durable sports watch is made of stronger materials, like resin straps and a shock-resistant body, and has multiple sensors that expertly measure natural elements. From the casual golfer to the serious hiker, hit the road with a sports watch from our list, some of which are 15% off when you enter promo code ‘FREE TIME‘ at the register.
With an Amazon Prime membership, you can get fast next day delivery at no cost.
1. Best Overall: Amazfit T-Rex Pro Smartwatch
- Over 100 sports modes, with calorie counting
- Passed 15 military-grade tests for durability
- Multiple sensors to track altitude, direction and location
- Waterproof up to 100 meters
- Quick charge with up to 18 days of battery life
- Shows incoming texts and calls
- Only supports devices running Android 5.0 or iOS 10.0 and above
Never stop thinking twice when the Amazfit T-Rex Pro is strapped to your wrist. It can survive hot deserts, humidity, freezing temperatures and salt spray, backed by 15 military-grade tests. Weighing just 60 grams, the T-Rex Pro is actually a sports smartwatch with rugged components. That means it automatically records any activity, from running and cycling to cricket and surfing, as one of its more than 100 sports modes. There are several useful features for outdoor activities, such as access to four global satellite navigation systems, sunrise and sunset times, a blood oxygen saturation test during hikes, and resistance in the water for swimming. Since the watch pairs with your smartphone, keep track of important texts and calls while listening to your favorite music during your runs. Its battery charges in an hour and a half, for a duration of 18 days (or 9 days in the event of intensive use). Discover other connected watches.
2. Best Budget for Water Sports: Casio Sports Watch Analog-Digital Display
- High water resistance (200m), making it suitable for water sports
- Digital and analog timing
- Sporty and robust look
- Shock resistant
- Timer, stopwatch, hourly time signal and alarm functions
- LED light for readability in the dark
- LED light is quite dim, according to reviews
Casio G-Shock models are well known for their shock resistance, which means accidental drops are nothing to worry about. This particular watch from the GA-700 series does more than that: it is water resistant up to 200 meters deep. 20 bar resistance allows for more intensive water activities, so make the most of jet-skiing, scuba diving and bumpy rides at the water park. You can read the time in analog and digital mode, including the date and day of the week. Going out on the beach at night? Trigger the LED light of the front button to read the display, and the watch hands smartly move apart. There’s even the option to set a countdown timer with a stopwatch function, five daily alarms and hourly alerts to keep you focused.
Guarantee: Amazon offers a one-year extended warranty for Dh23 and a two-year extended warranty for Dh33.
3. Best for Design: Citizen Men’s Solar Powered Watch
- Charges using any light source – no need to replace the battery
- Looks like a dress watch
- Stopwatch and date function
- Doubles as a compass with directional markers
- Waterproof up to 100 meters deep
- Limited sports functions
Style meets function in this chronograph watch from Citizen. Its black ion-plating and supple calf leather straps present a professional front, perfect for someone who prefers a sleek sporty design. Our pick comes from Citizen’s smart Eco-Drive range, where the watches are only powered by any light source, not just the sun. You can travel to the farthest corners of the world, with the peace of mind that the watch around your wrist is still running. Even left in the dark, its power reserve can power the watch for up to seven months. While the dial looks busy, every marker plays an important role, from the date and 24-hour sub-dial to the stopwatch function. You can also use the watch as a compass, aligning the hour hand with the sun – the midpoint between the 12 o’clock marker and the hour hand is roughly south.
Prime: Get 15% off when you enter coupon code “TIMEOUT” at checkout.
Guarantee: Amazon offers a one-year extended warranty for Dh46 and a two-year extended warranty for Dh65.
4. Best Sports Smartwatch: Garmin Instinct 2 Solar Rugged GPS Smartwatch, Graphite
- Charges with sunlight
- A wide range of sports and activity tracking features
- Remembers your hiking path
- Heat, shock, scratch and water resistant (100 meters)
- Multiple built-in sensors – navigation, barometer, thermometer and compass
- SMS reply only works with paired Android phones
For a fully featured solar-powered sports watch, you might have to shell out a bit more. The Garmin Instinct 2 Solar has unlimited battery life, as long as it gets the sun for a few hours each day. Unlike most smartwatches with a color screen, the Instinct 2 Solar works with a classic monochrome screen and a sturdy casing. It puts you on the map using three navigation systems, in case one turns off while running or hiking. The Tracback Routing feature remembers your route for you, so you never get lost. If you are an avid mountain biker, the watch notes your performance after each ride to motivate you. Whether golfing, cycling or swimming, the watch has a preloaded activity profile for each favorite sport. It also suggests a recovery period after each physical activity, once it takes into account the quality of sleep, stress and daily movements.
Prime: Buy with zero percent installments and pay Dh123.42 for 12 months with select banks.
5. Best for Running: Casio G Shock GBX 100 7DR Men’s Digital Wristwatch
- Training mode for running
- Displays tide charts and moon phases
- Set time laps and measure speed, calories burned and more
- Waterproof up to 200 meters deep
- Band has wide slits for water and sweat to escape
- Can be difficult to use
For those who find themselves mostly at the beach or in the field, check out the G-LIDE model from Casio’s G-Shock range. It pairs with your smartphone via Bluetooth to gather accurate information. On a small LCD screen, it draws tide graphs based on your location, informing you of high and low tide times and levels, as well as lunar data. This is especially useful for surfers or water sports enthusiasts. Runners can also benefit from the workout feature which measures distance, speed, laps, pace and calories burned using a built-in accelerometer. The watch automatically records your daily step count and monthly running progress for reference.
Guarantee: Amazon offers a one-year extended warranty for Dh29 and a two-year extended warranty for Dh41.
6. Best for land activities: SUUNTO Core Classic, outdoor sports watch
- Fairly accurate barometer, altimeter and compass readings
- Tracks sea level pressure
- Storm alert
- Works for a year without needing to replace the battery
- Big screen
- Sun in full sun
- Not suitable for water sports
The Suunto Core Classic is built to brave the outdoor elements. An adventurer’s essential tool, the lightweight outdoor watch offers decent readability with large numerals and backlighting. Scale foreign mountains with this reliable gear that combines data from the built-in barometer and altimeter to protect you. It reads atmospheric pressure trends in advance, including sea level pressure, to warn you of a possible storm. Then there’s the altimeter that tracks your ascents and descents, easily surviving temperature extremes of -20°C to 60°C. You also have access to a digital compass with a north indicator needle on the bezel. As its water resistance peaks at 30 meters, the watch is best used on land.
7. Best Budget Sports Smartwatch: Huawei GT2 Smartwatch with GPS, 46mm
- 15 sports modes, including a triathlon mode
- Two satellite navigation systems
- Excellent battery life
- Large AMOLED display
- Touch and touch interaction
- Works with Android 4.4 or iOS 9.0 and above
- Only suitable for swimming in shallow water (30 meters)
Here’s another sporty smartwatch to consider, but one that’s easy to pick up. The Huawei Watch GT 2 looks like a cross between a casual watch and a nifty gadget. Interact with it using touch on the 1.39-inch AMOLED screen or navigate with the two buttons on the edge. It is equipped with two navigation systems: GPS (Global Positioning System) and GLONASS (Global Navigation Satellite System) to record accurate progress results. There are 15 sport modes and 85 additional workout modes, making it fit inside and outside the gym. Challenge yourself to a marathon swim, bike, and run, then let the special triathlon mode log activity data. And it’s so easy to track everyday numbers – expect to see your step count, calories burned, standing times and more, all at a glance. Reviewers mention how liberating it is to load songs onto the gadget so they don’t have to carry their phone around to play. For a smartwatch, you get excellent battery life of up to 14 days. If a fitness tracker is what you’re looking for, see here.
Guarantee: Amazon offers a one-year extended warranty for Dh23 and a two-year extended warranty for Dh38.
Our recommendations are independently chosen by the editors of Gulf News. If you decide to purchase through links on our website, we may earn an affiliate commission because we are part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates program.